In 2020, the total amount of CO2e potentially saved through 10 Schibsted and Adevinta marketplaces was 20.7 million tonnes, equivalent to 41 percent of the total CO2e in Norway during one year.
One of the biggest global challenges we face today is the environmental impact of consumption which is higher than what the planet can sustain. Christian Printzell Halvorsen, EVP Schibsted Nordic Marketplaces and CEO of FINN.no, is very pleased that all three Nordic marketplaces in Schibsted, FINN (Norway), Blocket (Sweden) and Tori (Finland), are helping to save the environment from climate-hostile emissions:
“The Second Hand Effect report shows that our three Nordic marketplaces for second-hand trade make a positive impact on the environment. We’ve seen a huge increase in the purchase and sale of second-hand goods in 2020, and the users are our own environmental heroes. We are very proud that Schibsted’s marketplaces give people the opportunity to shop in a sustainable way,” says Halvorsen.
The Second Hand Effect project was initiated by Schibsted in 2013, and has since expanded to several marketplaces across the world including Adevinta, Schibsted´s partly-owned international marketplaces outside the Nordics. The project has been designed in cooperation with IVL Swedish Environmental Research Institute.
Second Hand Effect Results 2020
In 2020, the total amount of CO2e potentially saved through 10 marketplaces in Schibsted and Adevinta amounted to 20.7 million tonnes. If we compare it with traffic pollution, it is the same as traffic standing still in Oslo for almost 42 years. It also equates to 41 percent of the total annual greenhouse gas emissions in Norway.
Plastic, aluminium and steel savings
We can also look into what materials the goods sold on the sites in 2020 were made of – in other words, preventing the need of producing these amounts of material:
- 1.2 million tonnes plastics = 165 billion plastic bags
- 7.8 million tonnes of steel = enough to build 1,075 Eiffel Towers
- 0.7 million tonnes aluminium = 49 billion soda cans
- Britt Nilsen, Head of Sustainability, Schibsted, firstname.lastname@example.org / +47 916 86 622
- Mélodie Laroche, Corporate Communications, Adevinta, email@example.com / +33 (0) 6 84 30 52 76
- Karin Sanne, Group Manager, Lifecycle management, IVL, firstname.lastname@example.org / +46 10 788 6866